Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Gay Oreo's

So, I don't know if others saw, but Oreo posted a rainbow oreo cookie on FB to "spread love." Me...I'm disappointed. I've always connected those cookies with fun family evenings. That picture just brought out some heart ache. I'm just going to say this now, I'm not a homophobe, but I don't believe it is right to give in to those feelings. So many people in this world do have same gender attraction, but the lord wont give you a trial unless you can overcome it. I have some dear friends of mine who have decided to take those feelings and run with them. And the first thing I've noticed is that when they run, they run further away from the people who truly love and care about them. People may call me cruel or intolerant, the fact is, I'm just trying to keep a hold of my own beliefs. I firmly believe that everyone in this world is entitled to their own opinions. I don't want to impose my beliefs on anyone, but I have no problem telling people what I believe. I believe that a man is not whole without a woman, and a woman is not whole without a man. Both man and woman have different roles to play in life. And BOTH roles are essential for the human race.

For me. The purpose of life is to find JOY (not just happiness) and to create more life. I have a sweet husband of 7 years and 5 wonderful children of our own. What I have noticed throughout my life is that my JOY comes from serving others. That's why I became a mother. Each child we have brings new life into our home. Its more work and I have less and less time for myself. But I GIVE my time to my children and husband. I find that the more time I GIVE to my family the more I want time WITH my family. I find joy in knowing that my children love to work and play along side each other.

I bring this up because I do have those who are close to me who have decided they want to give into the feelings of same gender attraction. One of which I had "adopted" as a little brother. Before he had decided to be gay he told me he wanted to be a father. I, having children of my own, also wanted that joy that I felt myself, for this young man I had come to care so greatly about. He is a kind soul and loving friend and would have made an amazing husband and father. Then on one day I wouldn't forget, I found out that he had given in to same gender attraction. I hadn't heard from him in weeks and he had unfriended and blocked me from facebook. I happened to be in the hospital at this time, so I had time on my hands to give him a call. We talked and I cried. I let him know how deeply hurt I was that he would try to cut communications from his family. My mind wanted to tell him, 'FINE if you don't want to talk to us then we will just let go of you as well!' but I couldn't say it in my heart. Instead what I said was quite the contrary. "We love you, and if you want to let go of us, it's not going to happen. We're family and we will always care for you."

The next time I saw him I did give him a hug. He was still the same person I knew, he just lived different. I do see this young man every now and then, he stops by to say hello to our family, but there is always that feeling inside me that hurts for this young man. He had so much potential to become an amazing husband and father and turned it away for something he thought would make him happy. I can tell you right now, the joy in life will not come from thinking of yourself, but in thinking of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment