Thursday, April 18, 2013

On my reading list for today

So, keeping with what's on my mind right now, homeschooling, I just have to remember to read a few things. My family growing up has a history of ADD and Dyslexia. This is not a bad thing, it's just different, so we have to find ways to work with M's attention span. As far as I can tell, I think most children do have a little of both ADD and Dyslexia, some overcome it easier than others. Me, growing up, I had some SERIOUS attention span problems. Sitting down in a school setting was rather hard for me. I'm figuring out, that M has had the same difficulties.

My mother recommended the book, "The Gift of Dyslexia" to me. Not only does it tell you signs to look for, but how to learn around/with these differences. So There is book no. 1 for me to read.

I have another issue that I've been worried about. I know they used to teach classes to several different aged children at a time...but I have found very little on how to deal with more than 3 kids at a time. I will have 3 in school, and 3 younger than school age. Technically O can be considered preschool age. But still. I have a 1 year old and I'm due in June with our 6th. That means dealing with a toddler and a newborn during school time. I have run across a website that I am in the middle of reading. Though they only address having 2 in school and a baby, it has thus far been helpful.

I will have a Kindergartner, First Grader, and Second Grader to work with. Teaching that close of grades, I'm not sure if it will be easier, or much more challenging. So far, my plan is to do a summer school pilot program. That way, if I fail, I can easily just keep my kids enrolled in the public school. They wont have missed any time off. But, I really am getting excited about this and I know, with support, I will NOT fail.

So far I have googled "What do kindergartens learn" and "what skills do kindergartens have" I have come up with a list of things that a Kindergartner will learn during their first year of school. Then I went per subject. "What math skills are learned in Kindergarten" then proceeded with writing, and reading. I'm sure I'll be adding to my list later. Next I'll be looking up 1st grade, then 2nd. Hopefully we can gather some ideas on what my homeschooling curriculum will be. We really don't have the money to buy classes at $20 a kid per month. So I'm going to start with what I know. If we need to add some curriculum that I will have to buy, we will save up for it.

The internet and Library are wonderful tools and I have found SCADS of information. It's just time to start getting it all down on paper. Time to take some more notes!

No comments:

Post a Comment